Five teenagers ‘wearing balaclavas’ dead after ‘stolen’ BMW driven wrong way down M9

The car driven by balaclava-clad teenagers was driven on the wrong side of the motorway twice in a matter of minutes

Ireland: Five teenagers dead car drove on wrong side of highway

Five balaclava-wearing teenagers who were killed in an M9 tragedy on Sunday drove a ‘stolen’ BMW on the wrong side of the motorway twice within minutes.

Police in County Kildare, Ireland, confirmed five teenagers died at the scene of the horrific crash which also left another four people seriously injured.

Irish police (Gardai) did not pursue the car each time it was driven at oncoming traffic, but officers were aware of its movements on the M9, reports the Irish Mirror.

“Members disengaged the first time it went down the road the wrong way – and didn’t get a chance to engage the second time,” a source said this evening.

It has also emerged that the occupants of the high-powered BMW were all wearing balaclavas or masks when it collided head-on with an innocent family’s car in the crash on the M9 in Co Kildare in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Sources reveal that the crash scene was so devastating that gardaí initially believed only four teenagers had perished in the collision, as that number were visible within the wreckage of the BMW.

It was not until late in the afternoon, when specialists moved the vehicle from the scene, that gardaí discovered the fifth body beneath the car.

Sources have further indicated that gardaí are working on the theory that the car the teenagers were travelling in had been stolen in Athy, Co Kildare earlier that morning.

The fatal head-on road crash happened at around 3am on the M9 northbound near Castledermot, Co Kildare

The fatal head-on road crash happened at around 3am on the M9 northbound near Castledermot, Co Kildare (Image: Niall Carson/PA Wire)

Gardai at the scene on the M9 northbound at Junction 3 in Co Kildare, where a number of people have died and others have been se

Gardai at the scene on the M9 northbound at Junction 3 in Co Kildare, where a number of people have died and others have been seriously injured after a head-on collision between two cars (Image: Niall Carson/PA Wire)

Officers had reportedly been alerted to a gang of teenagers attempting to break into cars and houses in the town during the early hours — some time before the fatal crash occurred. Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly this evening released a strongly worded statement regarding the crash, as two separate investigations were launched into the tragedy.

One inquiry into the collision itself is being conducted by An Garda Síochána, while independent policing watchdog Fiosrú is also examining the incident.

That investigation concerns any potential interactions gardaí may have had with the vehicle in the moments leading up to the crash, which occurred near the Moone and Athy motorway exit at approximately 3am.

The collision came just a week after a comparable incident on Dublin’s M50, when a stolen vehicle careered into an innocent motorist’s car in the early hours of the morning.

Much like this weekend’s devastating crash, that vehicle was also travelling on the wrong side of the road.

Mr Kelly stated that the crashes highlighted just how reckless it was to drive against the flow of traffic — something young criminals are increasingly doing in the knowledge that gardaí will not pursue them.

Mr Kelly said: “My thoughts are with those injured in this morning’s collision on the M9. These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.

“This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong-side of the motorway is.

An image depicts the aftermath of a severe traffic accident on a roadway. The scene includes a heavily damaged vehicle, with par

Gardai inspect the wreckage (Image: Niall Carson/PA Wire/PA Images)

“That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.

“As this particular incident has been referred to Fiosrú, the Police Ombudsman, I am constrained in what I can say in detail about this incident, but I know that Gardaí do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users.

“Gardaí are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents. As always, An Garda Síochána will fully cooperate with the Police Ombudsman investigation which I hope is completed as expeditiously as possible.

“My thoughts are also with all members of An Garda Síochána and the emergency services who had to deal with this awful incident this morning. Such incidents show the difficult work we ask our Gardaí to undertake every day to keep our communities safe.”

The Irish Mirror learned that the terrifying sequence of events commenced approximately 30 minutes before the collision, when gardaí first noticed the BMW behaving suspiciously.

Officers spotted the vehicle and attempted to pull it over, but it swiftly accelerated onto the motorway, travelling against oncoming traffic — prompting them to immediately stand down from pursuit.

It is believed the car subsequently performed a U-turn, rejoining the M9, though on this occasion travelling in the correct direction. The vehicle then exited the motorway at Junction 2A — a filling station and food area.

Gardaí had been preparing an operation to deploy a stinger device on the motorway to puncture the car’s tyres when those inside spotted one of the force’s vehicles and accelerated away.

The car then drove the wrong way down the exit ramp before speeding along the motorway, once again travelling against oncoming traffic. Gardaí did not give chase.

Within minutes, however, the BMW collided head-on with a Hyundai travelling in the correct direction on the motorway, with devastating consequences.

All five teenagers in the BMW were killed instantly, while the four innocent occupants of the Hyundai sustained injuries.

It is understood the victims were an extended family from Carlow who were travelling to Dublin Airport for a break.

The family comprised a seven-year-old child, a woman in her 20s and two women in their 30s, all of whom were injured.

“The female driver and front passenger, both aged in her 30s of the second car have been removed from the scene to Tallaght University Hospital and both remain in critical condition,” gardaí said in a statement.

Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly issued his statement on Monday.

Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly issued his statement on Monday. (Image: Cillian Sherlock/PA Wire)

The statement continued: “A female rear seat passenger, aged in her 20s was taken to St. Luke’s General Hospital and is in a serious condition. The third passenger, a child has been removed to Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) at Crumlin and is in a serious condition.”

It is understood the child suffered a broken leg.

Gardaí cordoned off the area throughout the day and launched a full investigation, appealing for any witnesses to come forward. The force stated: “Gardaí are appealing for any persons who may have witnessed this collision to come forward.

“Gardaí are appealing to road users who were travelling on the M9 northbound or southbound between 2:00am and 3:00am this morning Sunday 16th August, 2026 and who may have dashcam footage of the incident or surrounding area to make this footage available to investigating Gardaí.

“Anyone with information is asked to contact Athy Garda Station on 01 666 6000, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station.”

Meanwhile, Fiosrú has also released a statement confirming it is conducting its own separate investigation.

A spokesman said the matter had been referred to the organisation by gardai.

The scene on the M9 northbound at Junction 3 in Co Kildare where a number of people have died and others have been seriously inj

A devastating scene on the M9 (Image: undefined)

It said: “The referral was made following a Fatal Road Traffic Collision on the M9.

“One of Fiosrú’s on call team of investigators attended the scene and its independent investigation is ongoing.

“In line with its statutory remit, Fiosrú’s investigation relates to incidents involving contact with gardaí where a member of the public has died or been seriously injured.

“A referral does not necessarily mean a garda or gardaí have been accused of wrongdoing. Instead, it means that Fiosrú should independently investigate the incident to ascertain whether or not the act or omission of a garda or gardaí may have resulted in the death of, or serious harm to, a person.

“As the matter is now under investigation, pursuant to section 208(1)(b) of the Policing, Security and Community Safety Act 2024, Fiosrú cannot make any further comment.”

Heartfelt tributes poured in for the victims throughout the day. While gardaí had yet to formally release their names, details were circulating widely across social media.

The majority were from the Midlands, while one was originally from Limerick but had been residing in Dublin.

Emergency services are attending to a vehicle accident on a busy highway, with several emergency vehicles and personnel present.

Police investigate the area (Image: Niall Carson/PA Wire)

One tribute read: “A Mortal sin. The Nicest Boy you ever could have come across, so many memories we have together and I’ll make sure cherish every one. God help your poor mother and family get Best Bed In Heaven. You Will be truly missed.”

Another said: “Rest easy, bro. Always be in my heart and thoughts. Gonna miss u so much.”

Gardaí confirmed this evening that five teenagers had perished in the collision.

The force stated: “The bodies of 5 teenage males, all occupants of one vehicle, have now been removed from the scene and taken to Naas General Hospital where post mortems will take place.

“The occupants of the second vehicle, three women (two aged in their 30s, one in her 20s) and a male child all remain in hospital continuing to receive treatment for serious injuries.

“Forensic Collision Investigators have completed their examination of the scene. The road is expected to reopen shortly.

“Family Liaison Officers have been appointed to relatives of the occupants of both vehicles.”

Discuss More news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *